Wednesday 1 May 2013

Book Corner - The Perks of Being a Wallflower



I love reading.  It is what inspires me to write.  I love reading magazines and other blogs to see what trends are around and I love reading books to relax me and make me engage in someone else's life for a while, and escape from my own.  
So I thought why not let you know what I think of the books I read so that I can recommend them and give you an idea about the different books.  I am going to call all of my book reviews 'Book Corner' posts. 

Today I want to review 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'.  

Charlie is a wallflower.  He makes friends with his teacher, barely speaks to anyone his own age, has a family full of trouble, and not to mention, very socially awkward. 

I found this book so gripping, I read it in about a week!  The main character, Charlie, writes entry's into his diary over the course of a year telling his 'friend' about his life and secrets, he explores drugs, alcohol and love which is the case for many teenagers and makes it so relate-able!  
It is so different to any other book I have read because it's plot is just like everyday life so the ending is unexpected and I truly felt that I was in Charlie's life and experiencing what he did as a 'wallflower' which is a point of perspective that few books seem to explore realistically.  I also found it fascinating because it is set in 1991-2 where life seems so similar yet so different.
To start with, I wasn't sure whether it would be any good, however after picking it up a few times a day I was able to become a part of their lives and have opinions on the different events that happen throughout the book.  Honestly, I was quite disappointed when the book ended because it felt like it could go on forever and I would love it.  But I think the length is practical, it really is a perfect holiday read because it is so easy to read and a fairly upbeat book but it really does have some important meanings if you read between the lines.

I can't recommend this book enough to teenagers, probably girls as I don't think boys would be as interested but what can I say - the main character is a boy and so is the author (maybe it's because the cover is pink?).  I can't think of a single girl in my year who wouldn't enjoy this book!

If you've read it, let me know what you thought?  If not, would you read it?

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day and I love to hear what you think!
I will always try to reply and I am keen to look at your blogs too, so leave a link!